Posted: Oct 4, 2013 | Author: Health4horses
While vegetation in your paddocks provides natural shelter for your horse, be aware that you still need to take steps to minimise health risks.
- Flying foxes transmit deadly Hendra virus so make sure you remove your horses’ food and water containers away from trees – instead locate them under a shelter.
- If possible, keep your horse out of paddocks that have flowering and fruiting trees – they may attract flying foxes.
- Vaccinate your horse against Hendra virus. Government authorities state that vaccination is the single most effective way of reducing the risk of Hendra virus infection in horses1
- Keep your paddocks as free of manure as possible to help minimise the risk of worms and intestinal parasites.
- Rest and rotate your horse paddocks to help prevent parasites from taking hold.